[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
• View topic - Top Pizza

Top Pizza

Re: Top Pizza

Postby jjodon on Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:57 pm

DelRosa's Pizza in Carrolltown, PA was the best ever! It was a small family owned business and once the owners got up in age, they retired and the best pizza was no more.

Currently - Angelo's Pizza - Lakewood OH
jjodon

Re: Top Gluten-Free Pizza

Postby gabylou on Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:48 pm

As an ex-pizza junkie, and now celiac/gluten free girl, I'm going to give a list of the best gluten-free pizzas I've had. Yes, there are some good ones out there for those of you forced to give up wheat and gluten:

1. Mozzarelli's, 23rd St. in NYC
Fantastic gluten free pizza. Great sauce. They're square shaped, but thinner than sicilian. They hold gluten-free Sundays and make every kind of pizza imaginable.

2. Mr. Miceli's, Rockville Centre, Long Island
Just had this one on Sunday. Great crust. It's actually foldable (a big problem with gluten free crusts is the texture just isn't like regular pizza). Affordable pies too, though smaller than a regular pizza pie ($14.00).

3. Lou Malnati's, Chicago
The sausage crust pizza is amazing. It's also genius! BUT the sausage crust means this baby packs a whopping amount of fat - 90 grams of fat if you eat the whole thing – which I have. It's Chicago-style pizza, so you have the yummy plum tomatoes.

4. Risotteria, Bleeker St. NYC
Great brick-oven style pizza. This place is fantastic because they've got so much gluten-free stuff - breadsticks, panini's, brownies, etc. It ranks 4th for me because the sauce is good, but not great.

Mangia's Trattoria, Glen Rock, NJ
Mangia's pizza is good, not great. Needs a little salt. But gets a great honorable mention just because they have it!!

Cafe Baldo's, Wantaugh, LI
I actually prefer the garlic knots in this place over the pizza, but it gets an honorable mention. It's "foldable" pizza, but the very thin crust usually breaks apart as you're eating it.

Also noteworthy...
• Mr. Ritts pizza - not available at a restaurant, but you can buy it frozen; it's what I call "fresh" frozen, meaning it's not in a box.

• Outrageous Foods - same thing as above
gabylou

Postby Dead Guy on Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:42 am

[quote="Czaple"]I'm not sure if I have 10, but in the far northern Chicago-land area I'd have to go (in no particular order) with these:

1.) Lou Malnati's (Best lasagna pizza out there)
2.) Gino's East (Good thin crust and lasagna pizza)
3.) Home Run Inn (Best crust ever)
4.) Uno Chicago Grill (When you want to be exotic)
5.) Giordano's (When you feel like getting back to basics)
6.) Roma (Above average thin crust and lasagna pizzas when you don't feel like leaving the house)
7.) In-Law's (excellent thin crust, and when you're done they have a sports bar attached to the restaurant)
8.) RJ's Eatery (When you want more pizza than you know you can eat)

That's all I got... Someone help me add two more places! :mrgreen:[/quote]

Pizza Capri
Spacca Napoli

If you havn't tried it yet, next time you are in Chicago Spacca Napoli is on Ravenswood (Uptown area) but you may have to make reservations.
JP
[url=http://wwoz-sc.streamguys.com/listen.pls][size=85]I [img]http://www.nysforum.org/accessibility/resources/curriculum/images/images/rrsbullet.gif[/img] N.O.[/size][/url]
Dead Guy

Postby andiesmith on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:20 pm

i can give or take pizza...but i did love round table as a kid
**andie from dallas**
andiesmith

Postby footballgeek on Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:33 am

In Detroit area, most people would say Buddy's. But Green Lantern is the best.
[b][color=#BF0000]Beware[/color][/b] of the [color=#008000]Irish Illuminati[/color]
[img]http://forumimages.footballguys.com/uploads/av-12535.jpg[/img]
footballgeek

Postby treehugger on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:33 am

I say Cheesy Luigi's in Waterford....best crust ever
treehugger

Postby FeeFee1270 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:31 am

Gino's East in Rolling Meadows (Chicago suburbs). This pizza is soooo good, my cousin's husband got mad because he took me on the spur of the moment when I was pregnant. It use to be on Rush, but they were shut down a few times for code violations :o , but aren't those always the places with the best food?! :lol:
FeeFee1270

Postby fruittrees on Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:31 am

Ok, I am finally chiming but first some clarification.

I am a hypocrite with fatty food, I refuse to go out and eat it (I haven't been to a McDonald's in 5 years) but this one I love, at least once a year. Oh sure I drink beer and have the occasional sour candy, but fatty foods I don't eat. My wife and I reserve our anniversary when we first met to enjoy some pizza, a beer, and a movie, trite to be sure but its our thing.

1. Godfather's Pizza (growing up as a kid I loved their Taco Pizza, now the closest one to me is 30 minutes away)
2. Abby's Pizza (regional favorite of mine, just because they used to deliver in styrofoam boxes, and my dad used to bitch about how the pizza tasted frozen)
3. Papa John's (I really like some of their pizza's and they deliver after paying online via credit card)
4. Shakey's (yeah I remember growing up with one as a child, complete with a filmstrip broadcasting against a screen)

Anyways I am boring ... but I look forward tomorrow having me a taco pizza, some buffalo wings, and a dessert pizza.

Cheers
"... as heard on TV."
fruittrees

Postby DanielleRVA on Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:14 pm

Brooklyn Pizza, Commack NY (Long Island)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/80slittlefool/DoctorwhoUserbar.gif[/img]
DanielleRVA

Postby Elvicious on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:56 pm

I thought this topic would be a breeze, but I realized that I don't go to that many pizza joints. So here is my attempt at a Top Ten Pizza.....freestyle.

1.) Colony Grille, Stamford, CT.
This place is fantastic. Both for it's thin-crust, new york style pizza(especially the sausage!) and for it's old neighborhood "ambience".
With bartenders that go by the name Skeets and Fitz, who will point a sausage-shaped finger ominously your way if you curse when
ladies are present, how can you go wrong? There are many old time regulars....and when I say old, I mean OLD. Once, I sat and listened
to three old guys talk about watching Babe Ruth play for the Yankees in god knows what year. They could easily have been in their low 90s.
The walls are plastered with framed photos of the owners and their relatives. All of whom were either in some branch of the service, the police
department, the fire department.....or some combination of the three! Skeets and Fitz will share some great stories(and worldviews) when in
the right mood, but watch your language! Laugh as newbies to Colony ask if they serve salad, or even a beer that's not Budweiser or Guinness.
And be sure to try a hot oil pizza sometime. It's got a real kick to it. Oh, and one more thing. Don't go during primetime dinnertimes expecting
instant gratification. Belly up to the bar and prepare for a wait....sometimes up to an hour if it's REALLY poppin'. But it's worth the wait.

2.) Pepe's Pizza, New Haven, CT.
I think the true name of this place is Frank Pepe's or something. In case you want to look it up online. Depending on who you talk to, Pepe's is supposed
to be the first pizza joint outside of New York City. Dunno about that, but it's been there since the 20s or 30s at least. Their claim to fame is the clam
pizza, but I'm not really nuts about that one. I love their attitude about slices, though. When pizza parlors started popping up all over the country, Pepe's
refused to conform to the perfect triangular slice and, to this day, slice up some pretty random freestyle shapes. Occasionally, you'll get a triangle, but it's
definitely an accident. Sometimes the pizza is perfect, sometimes it's a little too burnt from the brick ovens. Also, be prepared to wait in line if you show up
close to dinnertime, especially on friday or saturday nights.

3.) Sally's Pizza, New Haven, Ct.
I haven't been to Sally's in a long time, but I remember it being quite amazing. There's a bitter rivalry between Sally's and Pepe's, as Sally's splintered from Pepe's
way back when and opened up across and up the street from it's parent joint. And everyone who goes to either place swears that their respective joint is the best!

4.) Modern Pizza, New Haven, Ct.
Modern is the answer to the "which is better....Pepe's or Sally's?" question. Answer: Neither. Go to Modern. While I found Modern to be really great pizza, I still prefer
Pepe's on a bad day to Modern on its best. But maybe that's just habit. I'll have to continue my research. ;)

5.) Pepe's Pizza, Fairfield, Ct.
Ok, this is kind of cheating on my part, but I'm seriously running out of places here. I can't think of many more pizza joints that I can recommend highly. When Pepe's
expanded and opened a joint up the street from me, I was psyched. No more driving all the way the hell to New Haven to wait in long lines. I could wait in long lines
in the comfort of my own neighborhood, thank you very much. But, because it's so close, I'm more likely to go there at odd times; times when there are much less
likely to be lines. At first, this branch wasn't so hot. I blame the brick oven for not being cured. Or maybe the dudes running the show just weren't as slick as their New
Haven brother. Now, though, Fairfield rivals New Haven more often than not.

6.) Luigi's Pizza, Fairfield, Ct.
Now I'm really running low on ideas. While not spellbinding, Luigi's looks like a standard pizza parlor from the outside. But there's something about their particular combination
of cheese and sauce that keeps me coming back year after year. You probably ain't gonna read about them in Zagat's anytime soon, but it's a good solid new york-style pizza.

7.) Bar, New Haven, Ct.
I haven't been to Bar in New Haven in way too long, but my sources tell me that it is still outstanding thincrust pizza. Check it out. Now that I'm thinking about it, I will again, too.

8.) Beverly Pizza, Bridgeport, CT
I have to include the Beverly as an honorable mention. First, because it is truly unique and it means something when you say it's a Beverly pizza. Second, because the locals all have
stories about going to Beverly all through high school, etc....and there's nothing like a Beverly pizza. Don't know what it is. This place has sadly gotten WAY more rundown in recent years
and has faced some tough competition since Pepe's moved in around the corner, but it still has the charm of a greasy spoon pizza joint.

9.) Two Boots, NY, NY.
Another honorable mention, this place is all over the city, but I'm most partial to the one down on Bleecker. It's a great place to get a slice, or three, especially before catching a movie around the corner at the Angelika.

Ok, I can't come up with any others. I'm sure there are a bunch I'm forgetting. But, for the most part, the other places around are either crappy chains like Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Dominos, Little Caesar's or Chicago-style deep dish pizza(which, to me, isn't even pizza). Deep dish is good sometimes, but don't call it pizza. It needs it's own name. There are also tons of pizza made greek-style, which is usually not a good thing.

That is all.

The Steve
Elvicious

Previous

Return to Hometown Food