[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 110: Undefined array key "cached"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 111: Undefined array key "normal"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/db/dbal.php on line 112: Undefined array key "total"
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 885: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3391: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3393: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3394: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3395: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:2922)
• View topic - Tales of Dragons

Tales of Dragons

Tales of Dragons

Postby Vila on Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:23 am

Has anyone suggested Tales of Dragons? Dragons are literally everywhere, from every time, from every place and lets not forget that fake Preserved Dragon in a jar a couple years ago.
::The Drunk Cowgirl::
Vila

Re: Tales of Dragons

Postby Shockwave on Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:27 am

1981: The Pekin Chinks high school team becomes the Pekin Dragons 5 Sep 2005

The town of Pekin Illinois, just outside the city of Peoria, got its name from its location, which residents believed was on the opposite side of the globe from Pekin (i.e., Peking or Beijing) China. The town of Canton Illinois was named because of a similar belief: that it too was opposite a famous Chinese city, in this case Canton (i.e., Guangzhou, the capital of Guangdong). As the two towns are much closer to each other than the original Pekin and Canton, it seems that some early Illinoisans were a bit shaky on geographical details.

Pekin has another claim to fame, however. Until 1981 it had a high school athletic team called the Chinks and a roller skating arena called the Chink Rink. The decision to change the team name to the Pekin Dragons is still remembered bitterly by certain residents, as shown by this apparently genuine email sent to a liberal website a few months ago:

[quote]"I graduated from Pekin Community High School in 1960. I was also voted by the student body to be the mascot 'Chink'. It was a great honor and still is to me today. Another girl in my class was voted 'Chinklette.' We wore Chinese costumes and greeted cheerleaders from the opposing team in the middle of the basketball floor before each home game. It was a gesture of a welcome and good sportmanship. I'm still upset today that the school buckled under and changed the name to Dragons in 1981. It was the result of pointy headed pablum sucking liberals who run the polictical correctness gestopo in this country. I do detest them so much. I am attending my 45th high school class reunion this weekend in God's little acre called Pekin, IL and I will proudly wear my PEKIN CHINKS shirt. Liberal and their pathetic ilk can go to Hell!!

CHINKS FOREVER

1960 Chink, Bob Brown"[/quote]

As far as we know, the high school in Canton Illinois never adopted a racist slur as the name of its athletic team.

http://www.riotpoof.com/archives/000026.php

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... &cset=true
[img]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l62/benjaminjdowell/Shockwave/anm76f0ca9058489bf0.gif[/img]
Shockwave

Re: Tales of Dragons

Postby valleyoforion on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:11 am

Done; show 161. Dragon images in Hinduism were infused by their contacts with the north eastern Oriental culturals. Vedic refrences lean more to humanoid beasts rather than pure drangons that we think of today. The recently visited Khajuraho India temples have a few dragons on them but again they are oriental borrowings in design.
valleyoforion

Return to Show Themes